Technology Commercialization courses are developed and taught by outstanding faculty members in the department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, legal experts, and notable innovators.
The program is composed of one fundamental course and four hours of elective courses. The courses are designed to allow students to gain a general understanding of the technology commercialization landscape, then to apply that knowledge in a practical manner to an innovation.
Students who wish to obtain a certificate in Technology Commercialization must:
- Complete the required course, Lectures in Engineering Entrepreneurship (1 hour)
Complete at least four credit hours of elective courses/activities from the following list:
- ABE 430: Project Management (3 hours)
- TE 461: Technology Entrepreneurship (3 hours)
- TE 466: High Tech Venture Marketing (2 hours)
- GE 400: Engineering Law (3 hours)
- Placement in the semi-finalist teams in the Cozad New Venture Competition (equivalent to 2 hours course credit)
- Invention to Venture workshop, held annually in the spring (equivalent to 0.5 hours course credit)
- Attendance of the Silicon Valley Entrepreneurship Workshop (equivalent to 2 hours course credit)
In place of any of the above listed electives, students who have previously taken either: Product Development for Entrepreneurial Ventures (3 hr), An Entrepreneurial Approach to Green Engineering (3 hr) or Technology Opportunity Assessment (3 hr) can receive credit for these courses toward the certificate.
- Maintain a 3.0 average or better in each of the courses that make up the certificate program in order for them to qualify for the certificate.
Submit the following materials upon completion of coursework:
- Application form
- Transcript of the courses completed toward the TC certificate, along with supporting documentation from applicable programs attended for completion of the certificate
- Processing fee: $50 check made payable to the University of Illinois
All materials must be submitted to the Technology Entrepreneur Center (TEC):
351 Coordinated Science Laboratory
1308 W. Main Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Attn: TEC - Certificate Programs